Sharpstown HS To Host Third Annual Summer Scholars Program in June, aimed at giving rising juniors a head start in the college application process
Held during the month of June, the Sharpstown Summer Scholars Program gives rising seniors the opportunity to get a head start in college applications, through a variety of programs:
- College Prep Classes – 4 hours of each day are devoted to building college skills through lessons in email communications and etiquette, resume writing, personal brand, and personal statement writing. Through college essay writing workshops, students finish the program with three compelling and polished personal statement essays.
- Career Shadow Days – Career shadowing provides an in-depth understanding of work life at various types of organizations; past visits included Microsoft, Teach For America, Merrill Lynch, IBM and Spectra Energy. Through interactions with adult mentors, students are able to connect ideas learned from College Prep Classes, such as personal branding, long-term planning, and delayed gratification, to real life situations.
- Texas College Tour – The culmination of the program, the Texas College Tour, gives students the opportunity to fully immerse themselves in a diverse selection of colleges. Students learn about the application and financial aid process from university faculty and are able to experience firsthand the traditions and people that make each college unique. In 2016, we visited UT-San Antonio, UT-Austin, Texas Woman’s University, UT-Dallas, Texas State University, University of North Texas, and Rice University.
- 40 participants; 91% attendance rate throughout the 22 day program
- 163% increase in completed applications to selective Texas public universities
- 90% acceptance into college of choice by the end of the fall semester
- Admittance into selective majors such as engineering and business at Texas A&M University and the University of Texas at Austin because students applied early